• What is Occupational Therapy

    Occupational therapy (OT) is a therapy aimed at helping people gain and maintain the “occupations” of their lives. These occupations include eating, sleeping, bathing, playing, dressing and grooming, socializing, leisure pursuits, and succeeding in an academic setting. A child’s occupation is play.

  • What are some signs my child may need occupational therapy?

    There are many signs that can indicate your child could benefit from occupational therapy. Some of the most common signs include;

    • difficulty concentrating on tasks at home or school, easily distracted
    • trouble following instructions
    • sensitive to foods, clothing, teeth brushing, noises, etc.
    • appears clumsy
    • impulsive in thought and actions
    • avoids reading and writing activities
    • poor eye-hand coordination
    • difficulty making friends, does not play well with other children, lacks social skills
    • difficulty sleeping, eating, or regulating emotions
    • tantrums often and for long durations of time
  • Do we need to see a doctor before seeing an occupational therapist?

    In Idaho, you aren’t required to visit a doctor before seeing an occupational therapist. However, at Idaho Therapy Source, we want to partner with a family’s physician. We provide an in-depth evaluation that addresses the abilities and behaviors of a child through the context of their life at home and at school. From this information, we can assess and determine if and how we can be of service to the child and their family.

  • What is sensory integration?

    Sensory integration is the brain’s ability to process, organize, and respond to the information it receives from the 5 senses.

  • How can sensory integration treatment help my child?

    At Idaho Therapy Source, we focus on play to help children increase their sensory integration. By using all of their senses together in a playful and stress-free environment, children can start to make better sense of the world around them. Occupational therapy is designed to help children build the skills they need to accomplish everyday tasks with fewer obstacles.

  • How do I get occupational therapy services for my child?

    There are several ways to find occupational therapy services for your child. One option involves asking your school district for an evaluation. However, the focus of these OT programs can vary in their approaches. Another option would be going through your family doctor and getting a referral through them. At Idaho Therapy Source, we passionately believe that our approach to occupational therapy is the most holistic and effective for children. You can contact our office today for information on how to get started.

  • Is occupational therapy covered by insurance?

    Depending on your insurance plan, you may have coverage for occupational therapy. The best way to determine coverage for outpatient rehabilitative services is to call your insurance company and ask, “What outpatient rehabilitative services does my policy cover?”

  • My child doesn't have a diagnosis. Can I still receive OT?

    Yes. Call or schedule an appointment with your doctor and explain your concerns to request a referral. After the referral is sent to us, we will contact you to set up your child’s evaluation.